Friday, December 18, 2015

Seven Quick Takes

Today I'm linking up with This Ain't The Lyceum for Seven Quick Takes Friday! 


1.  Peter has gotten so much more articulate and mature in the last week. It's amazing how quickly that happens! I'll write more about Ectodermal dysplasia soon, but Peter was born with it and he does not have any teeth (yet). We often tell him about how he will get denture teeth from the dentist soon and he's very very excited. This last Sunday after Church was the first time Peter came to me saying "Mama, my friends want to know why I don't have teeth."! I was wondering how I would handle this, and it was way easier than I had anticipated. We go to a lovely Catholic Parish full of the kindest parents & kids. I went over to explain why Peter doesn't have teeth only to hear a couple of the older kids already doing so in the kindest and most sensitive way ever: "Peter can't grow teeth." one of them said, "But that's okay! He will get his teeth from the dentist". "Just like how some people need glasses to see" chimed in another kid. Yes. I chose the right community for raising my kids in. 


2. Advent has been awesome. I'm so glad that I've taken the season more to heart this year. I'm saving up my celebrating for the 12 days of Christmas and it feels good! We're loving the Jesse Tree and singing Advent songs. We even found one that Peter likes to sing with us: Easy Advent Song For Toddlers. Rosie even signs along a little! 


3. My kids have both rolled and scooted very early, which makes diaper changing a challenge. With Peter I spent so much time laying him back on his back. With Rosie, I've tried a different approach and it works great. I don't know why I didn't think of doing this before!

Yes, it's on backwards. 

4. We've had so much fun with this super easy to make trolley. I just tied a little box to a toilet paper tube and then strung it on yarn across our cabin. The Playmobil and Duplo people/animals no longer have to traverse our cabin in the back of a Unimog. 


5. It's that time of year again, everyone is getting sick. For the last 2 years, I tried to avoid people who were sick, and we ended up isolated and still caught everything. This year I'm not going to be as cautious about other people's illnesses, instead I'm using great herbal immune boosters and trying to eat a clean diet. We've done a lot of foraging this last year and this week we're making some tinctures. It's been a few years, so I'm super excited to build up my now depleted medicine cabinet. 

Nature journaling, toddler style.  

Playing in the dirt while I gather the early fall crop of nettles. Yum! 

6. One of Peter's Christmas presents is a little kit (I put together) for starting a spring garden. I keep having conflicting feelings about this because what I really want is to start homesteading on a property of our own. But the reality is, that will likely not happen for a few years. Meanwhile, there's everything right about starting a small garden. Maybe we can even get a bee hive going! 


7. Rosie's been keeping me up at all hours this last week. I've gotten lots of time to read and pray, so I'm just seeing it as productive time. My feelings about sleep deprivation have shifted dramatically this year. When you can't change it, why let it bother you? Instead I sleep when I can and enjoy it when I can't. 


2 comments:

  1. I dream of chickens! But I live in an apartment without any dirt.

    Love your diaper solution! My 16 month old is a flipper too. Let's hope for an early potty trainer because she's getting strong and quick. Snappi clip cuts really sting momma's hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know about those Snappi clip cuts! Ouch! We use both the prefolds with a Snappi and the all-in-one diapers. The all-in-one diapers are way easier to put on an active baby!

      Delete