Monday, December 14, 2015

How to do Story Time Tea With Toddlers (and Babies)

"Drop Thy still dew of quietness
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace."
~John Greenleaf Whittier


We love love love to read in our house. I read aloud all day, listen to audio books while cooking/cleaning, and I try to find solid reading time for myself as often as possible (split with knitting and time in nature/prayer). So it might seem odd that I have select reading times set through our day, but I do. I find that I have an easier time staying in my role as mother and educator of my children if I keep a good daily schedule. The best part about keeping a schedule is how much more free time it has allowed us. Anyhow, one of the activities I hold close to my heart is our daily story time tea. It's not always easy, actually some days I hardly want to do it, but we always enjoy it.
I pray the liturgy of the hours (it's a Catholic thing). Because I already pray in the 3:00 hour, it's easy for me to lead us in that prayer and then have a good tea! 
Here are some of the ways I've found make it easier and more doable: 

1. Read Anywhere/Everywhere 

Most days we are home and have a proper tea on the table. 


But other days we are still playing in the forest.


And still other days we take a more casual approach on the couch. 


2. Offer A Theme (and then read whatever your toddler wants)

Don't get me wrong, I love Richard Scarry. But Peter goes through phases where the only books he wants to read are "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" and "The Counting Book". Both are long and kinda drive me bonkers. For Story Time Tea, I often will offer a theme. 

Today's theme was Space and The Moon. 

Kids get excited about a theme and they love repetition, so a weekly theme would work well. With the theme books laid out before tea starts, we usually read most of those before Peter runs and grabs "The Counting Book". That being said, I never ever not ever say "no" to reading a book because I am sick of it. That's just the choice our family has made. Because Peter loves "The Counting Book" and I've read it a bazillion times, he could count to 10 around his 2nd birthday. He loves numbers and I feel passionate about nourishing the interests my kids have. 

3. Have Snacks and Tea

Afternoon snack is a good idea for everyone. I usually have a couple cups of Irish Breakfast tea to keep me going and I give my kids chamomile to help them chill out before the late afternoon crankiness starts. Before Peter was born I read a book about French parenting. The only thing I learned in that book that fits with our own family is the afternoon le goûter.

According to the author, it is during their afternoon snack that they give their kids the sweet treat of the day. That made so much sense to me. Why give dessert after dinner, right before bedtime? If there is going to be a sweet treat in the day, have it with afternoon tea, a couple hours before dinner!




4. Exercise the Kids Before Sitting Down
We always take our daily walk before Story Time Tea. Or we go play at the park. 
Today, at the park. 


5. But Above All, Just Read To Your Kid(s)!

We love our Story Time Tea because it combines le goûter, books, and a fun daily tradition for our family. Having activities through the day helps me keep going as a mom, but it would make other parents crazy! 
Peter loves taking a turn "reading" to Rosie. He remembers the stories very well. 

Our weekly haul from the library. 

Story Time Tea outside...airplane themed! 

Peter and Rosie snuggling during Story Time Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment